[oi-dev] "Fixed Enlightenment" or "Beware of epoll"

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Apr 12 06:49:58 UTC 2017

On 12.04.2017 08:32, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Hi,
> yesterday I figured out why EFL stopped working suddenly several (too
> many)
> months ago: <sys/epoll.h> was added and one source started using
> silently
> epoll in the main loop.
>
> But epoll in illumos does not implement the same behaviour as in Linux:
> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/smartosman/public/man5/epoll.5.html
> and in this particular case EFL relies on a peculiarity of Linux epoll:
> on
> illumos this produces a deadlock.
>
> The "fix" was to avoid using automatically epoll if <sys/epoll.h> is
> present on the system.

I still don't understand why we expose epoll for public if it's just a
part of internal linux emulation level.
I'd better hide linux-compatibility interfaces behind some guard...

As for issue with enlightenment, can we commit some fix to avoid using
it to enlightenment library for now (without updating it)
to avoid shipping package which is known to be broken?
---