[oi-dev] Why are Firefox and Thunderbird built with jemalloc?

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:18:17 UTC 2017

On 22.02.2017 21:09, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> I do not know, I was just curious since Bryan Cantrill's horror stories
> on jemalloc.
> So I was wondering about the "why" of messing with it instead of using
> libumem.

So the horror Stories where about jemalloc. I though there were about
libmalloc or something :)

In that case leaving it out will definately give us benefits if I get it
right. Also jemalloc in Mozilla is not the upstream jemalloc and there
were a lot of improvements there. There was some mention about TLS
needing it. But if that does not apply then I would say disable it.

It would also be nice to check with Illumos mailing list to see how our
malloc is different from FreeBSD and how this influences the situation.
If I understand Brian Cantrill corretly our implementation knows what it
should do and when it does not we should fix that instead of using
something like jemalloc.

Greetings
Till