[oi-dev] OI 2017-05 snapshot: AMD Athlon 64 (K8) compatibility issues

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sun Jun 4 17:37:20 UTC 2017

> On 4. juuni 2017, at 20:13, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Jean-Pierre André wrote:
>> ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
>>> On that note, be aware of prior notice on AMD64 Athlon 64-based
>>> computers and the use of software from:
>>
>> I have such a computer, which I intended to upgrade to 2017.04
>>
>> Is booting on a live-usb a valid test for presence/absence of
>> further problems ahead ? (IOW is the problem in the new loader or
>> in the kernel ?)
>
> As nobody told whether the issue lies within the new loader or
> in the kernel, and bug #8169 pointed at an issue in the loader,
> I tried updating the current installation with the grub loader
> kept in place (BE_HAS_GRUB=true in /etc/default/be).
>
> After the update, I can only boot into the new BE in single user
> mode. Two kinds of errors are displayed :
>
> 1) svc:/system/metainit: default:
>        method "lib/svc/method/svc-metainit"
>        failed with exit status 127
> (shown three times then transitioned to maintenance).

thats issue about SMF, just run svccfg delete svc:/system/metainit:default - it does not affect booting.

> 2) APIC Error interrupt on CPU 1. Status 0 = 0, Status 1 = 80
> This second error is traditional on this computer and is
> normally avoided by the boot option "acpi-user-options=0x2"
> which was in place.

you can always test by: ok boot -B acpi-user-options=0x2 , or check the loader options menu;

also prtconf -v and tr ‘\0’ ‘\n’ < /system/boot/environment  from OS.

This issue is worth to be filed in illumos.org/issues <http://illumos.org/issues> if not done already.

> Are these the errors which I was warned against ?
>
> Have they something to do with bug #8169 ?
>
> Do they mean I am kicked out, or is there a way to update
> to the latest state before the bug was created ?

8169 is fixed in later builds, it was unfortunate the ISO’s got published just a bit before the issue and the fix. However, the 8169 is only affecting systems with ACPI v1 and only if you boot the latest iso/usb, pkg update will give you the fix. The 8169 does make kernel startup to fail as the boot loader was passing wrong size for ACPI table - if you got the single user, you are not affected.

However, if you did end up in single user mode, it means that some essential service did fail for some reason, does svcs -vx reveal anything?

rgds,
toomas