[oi-dev] Change in video driver ABI

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 5 10:47:55 UTC 2017

Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> [...]
>                  <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
>         <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>
>                  <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
>         <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>>>> wrote:
>
>                       Jean-Pierre André wrote:
>

>              [...]
>

>                       Update : I see the following comment for
>                  NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.135
>                       "Added support for X.Org xserver ABI 23
>         (xorg-server 1.19)"
>
>                       Is that the new ABI used by Xorg on OpenIndiana ?
>

>                  One always needs to update to a driver version
>         supported by the
>                  current
>                  Xorg.
>                  We updated to 1.18 (ABI == 20) and soon we will update
>         to 1.19
>                  (ABI ==
>                  23), so you should install the driver you mention.
>

>              Ok, thanks. In the Nvidia changelog, I see that
>              NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.131 has support for ABI 20,
>              so I am to try this one.
>

>         The support is backward compatible, so the latest will work as well.
>

>     So I tried :
>     - NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.131
>     - NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.132
>     - NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.135
>
>     The first couple of them use ABI 20, and the last one
>     uses ABI 23.
>
>     They run successfully with the initial BE, and they all
>     fail the same way with the updated BE. When switching to
>     graphics mode, I get a black screen with a winking cursor
>     on the top left. The keyboard and mouse are probably not
>     working (but I can connect through ssh to find out what
>     is going on).
>
>     There are a lot of differences in the Xorg.log. Below are
>     the main the differences for NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.135
>     running on the working BE and on the updated BE (so the
>     driver is the same, but Xorg is different).
>
>     I have put all the differences on
>     http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/Xorg.5jun.zip
>     <http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/Xorg.5jun.zip>
>
>     A lot of missing initializations, such as
>
>     < [] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
>     < [] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
>     < [] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
>     < [] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
>     < [] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
>     (and 22 more similar lines)
>
>     Missing report about module tsol (it was expected to fail,
>     but the point here is the loading was not even tried).

>     < [] (II) LoadModule: "xtsol"
>     < [] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xtsol
>     < [] (II) UnloadModule: "xtsol"
>     < [] (II) Unloading xtsol
>     < [] (EE) Failed to load module "xtsol" (module does not exist, 0)
>
>     EDID information not taken into account :
>
>     < [] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the
>     EDID for display
>     < [] (**) NVIDIA(0):     device IQT L70S (CRT-0) (Using EDID
>     frequencies has been
>     < [] (**) NVIDIA(0):     enabled on all display devices.)
>
>     This looks much like some package is missing.

I was saying that because several xorg functions were
not activated (initializations, processing of EDID), which
could means they were not called.

Anyway there are the same list of xorg packages in the
working BE and the updated one.

> Since the driver is binary, the only thing I can offer for now I to
> provide a build of Xorg 1.19 that you could try out, ... but maybe it is
> just that nvidia drivers are broken for your model.

I would not blame the driver, as all versions tried behave
properly with the initial BE. Also I can imagine the
interface between the driver and xorg has been tested on
other configurations, so the issue must be elsewhere.

I am keeping the configuration as is until somebody has
something else to suggest or you have an updated Xorg.
No need to rush it out, I will use the working BE in the
meantime.

Thank you for your help.

Jean-Pierre