[oi-dev] Plan for Hipster SPARC edition

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Sat Jun 24 20:31:43 UTC 2017

What about some SPARC Desktop driver "specialities" which sometimes do require a developer to have real bare ,etal testing hardware (covering as many as possible workstation, server and telco models ever manufatured by Sun/Oracle/Fujitsu, such as in case of the Blade100/150 which needed a fix)?
What about the Desktop and hence Xorg (almost no frame buffers supported) versus openXsun (all supported, with closed but redistributable binary drivers, credits to Alan Coopersmith's 2010 extra efforts)?
What about how the make openXsun work AT ALL (After what was done to me by this "community" in August 2016 [as documented at   http://opensxce.org/how2use_Sun-11.x_xhci_on_OpenSolaris/ ] I certainly won't publish my 2012 openXsun and caiman ports - especially not if having to deal with people who say they can do it allllll by themselves without at least having the slightest clue whatsoever).
And whose primary concern appears to be before all else to never and under no conditions mention good old SPARC-OpenSXCE or me by name.

What a joke.
Who wants to buy my last SPARC-gear (and by doing so support me at least now, after it is too late) do so here:  https://www.ebay.de/sch/unix_is_alive!/m.html?_trksid=p3692
I also still have U1, U2, U5, U10, U30, U60, U80 - ask me if you want them almost for free.

Sorry, but in the manner in which you started this "proposal" - honestly - which motivation should I have to "join you" (if it is not in reality you who joined me) ?

Once again thank you for having used OpenSXCE in 2013/2014 and for your 2 donations.

If it is really only about compiling OS/Net a bit I have to wonder, why the OpenSolaris Bible (thankfully!) devoted an entire chapter to me and MartUX (as OpenSXCE was still called by then, in 2008).

https://skrinhitam.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/open_solaris_bible.pdf

Ah, btw, OpenSXCE.org is now ZFS based  http://zfsonlinux.org/ via a modern UNIX kernel running on modern hardware:  linux-4.11-rc8' on Intel/AMD x86_64.
The core club already has our internal vSphere disk images, because we had to pause working on the Anaconda port due to having too little spare time. But as soon as the installer is ready (over the summer) we will publish everything on https://github.com/OpenSXCE-org and as test isos on opensxce.org .

Good luck to your SPARC proposal. I'm afraid it comes about 2 deacdes too late (should have come even 5 years before it was possible @20050614).
When I started MartUX in April of 2006 folks were already telling me this (!)
Now we have 2017. And that's not only true now for SPARC, but as most know equally as much for all of Ill-u-most (ZFS runs fine on BSD*. LinUX and MacOS and licensing incompatibilities can easily be woked around by compiling the ZFS stack on the user's computer during installation if the Ubuntu approach is too hot for somebody's taste).

Nevertheless: To the real OI/Hipster x64 crew (and to those people *only*) my honest best wishes.
I thank the Ill-u-most freaks for having shown their true colors last August.

This improved my little family's life by magnitudes - because it set me FREE!