[oi-dev] Install defaults re. SMB and pam.conf

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sun Mar 26 11:36:58 UTC 2017

> On 26. märts 2017, at 14:23, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> Am 25.03.17 um 22:30 schrieb James Blachly:
>> (I did not get any response on the -discuss list, so please forgive the re-posting)
>>
>> Speaking as a new OI user here,
>>
>> I am using the kernel CIFS/SMB service for the first time (on other systems including smartos I am using samba), which is quite convenient. However, it did not work out of the box.
>>
>> Is there any reason something along the lines of the following should not be in /etc/pam.conf in the installer/freshly installed image?
>>
>> # Kernel SMB/CIFS service for insertion into /var/smb/smbpasswd
>> other   password required       pam_smb_passwd.so.1     nowarn
>>
>> This seems like a reasonable change that would lower the barrier to entry / lower the frustration level for new users at a critical point in their go/no go decision.
> I am not sure about the reasons it is missing in our standard installation. Probably because not everybody is using smb/cifs and it might be
> a security problem. I think the general idea behind it was (during Solaris times) that it is safer to have as few as possible things "on" by default
> and an admin should know what to activate.
> So an alternative to enable this in /etc/pam.conf would be an enhanced desription of admin steps after installation (on the wiki probably).
>
> Regards
> Andreas

The problem is that smb setup is not consistent. From one hand you get this mantra “look how easy it is” - which is an lie. What actually should happen is:

1. creating an share should check if we also need to do smbadm join domain or workgroup; if its workgroup, then the join should also set up the pam entry.
2. Set up the default ACL for share. This one is major pain, it is not properly documented, the current default is useless and confusing.
3. create /etc/avahi/services/smb.service for SMB.

Also note that if you need to read wiki just to set up the SMB share, it means the whole concept is already wrong - it has nothing to do with being simple nor easy nor user frendly.

rgds,
toomas