[oi-dev] XFCE

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:36:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Aurélien Larcher <
aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> À Mercredi 10 mai 2017, Dariusz Sendkowski a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anybody ever tried to add XFCE desktop environment to oi-userland?
> > Or maybe someone has been already working on it
>
> We decided to add only in oi-userland what could be supported reliably to
> avoid packages becoming unmaintained.
> Even Enlightenment turned out to be troublesome and was broken 6 months
> until I figured the issue.
> Even if XFCE is a nice DE, we have already a lot of work coping with Xorg
> and MATE so I do not think we discussed it.
> Our situation is different than Linux distributions since we need to patch
> Linux-specific code, it requires more effort. The take is usually to focus
> on integration of selected packages (example: Caja's ZFS snapshot browser
> has no equivalent in XFCE).
> In short, adding another big DE  to oi-userland should come with the
> guarantee that someone will maintain it.
> I use MATE and Enlightenment only, and I have no tried building XFCE.

To be fair, Xfce take portability pretty seriously, they realise that
running
on non-Linux platforms is a good selling point and were more than happy
to accept my porting patches. It's run on Solaris/illumos for many years
and is the default DE on Tribblix.

You shouldn't need any patches to get it to build, I just put in a couple of
tweaks, nothing more.

--
-Peter Tribble