[oi-dev] Can I still install older perl and python?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri May 12 15:20:45 UTC 2017

On 05/12/17 07:01 AM, Gordon Ross wrote:
> Admittedly, this one of the things about IPS that has
> long bother me.  It's very "opinionated".
> IPS "knows better" than I do what packages should
> be installed, and in what versions, etc. and if I don't
> happen to agree (i.e. in this case, please don't just
> remove Python 2.5) well, that's just too bad.

It was designed by employees of a company who wanted to ensure that you
always ended up in a supportable configuration unless you specifically
opted out in a way that support folks could detect, such as by changing
the version-lock facets, using "pkg freeze" to stop packages from changing,
using pkgrecv | pkgsend to republish your own package versions, etc.

Definitely different design goals than most community-developed FOSS
package managers.

	-alan-