[oi-dev] OI Hipster 2017.10 snapshot

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 19:13:38 UTC 2017

> I must dispute the assertion that Hipster 2017.10 is ready.

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback,

> I have a failing hard drive on my Internet access system running
> oi151_a8.  I have installed a new hard drive, partitioned it with gparted
> and booted the DVD image.  I have been running OI on this box since 148.
>
> 1) at the live desktop I cannot run either installer nor can I open a
> terminal window. All I get is a nice popup "i/o error" dialog.

 Could it be that your DVD drive is failing as well? Or simply your
motherboard controller?

> 2) when I try to boot from the DVD in single user mode it demands a user
> name and password, but does not accept "jack/jack" or "root/root". If you
> need to come up in single user mode from a DVD this is *really* annoying.
> There is no security if you have physical control of the machine playing
> games with the person booting from the DVD is pointless.

The reference documentation:

http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/

states that the password is 'openindiana' (and likely has been for some
time). To make sure I just verified that it works as expected.

> 3) I can find NO alternative ISOs!

Not sure what you mean by "alternative". How about the Text Installer?

> 4) The DVD boot menu does not have an install option.  WTF?

The desktop has two icons:
- Install OpenIndiana
- Install OpenIndiana using text installer

This is usually enough as soon as the system is able to boot up, which is
allegedly not your case.

> This *used* to be SunOS where things worked properly and you were not
> forced into using the very latest version if you didn't want it.
>
> I fully appreciate that there is only a small group doing most of the
> work.  But this is almost enough to make me give up and just run Windows
> for my Internet access.

Sorry that your experience is not smooth, but it may vary depending on your
hardware.
I have 4 machines and 2 virtualbox instances running OI and encounter
issues very seldom (or none that can't be fixed with a bit a effort)

Kind regards

Aurelien

> Reg
>
>  Hi.