[oi-dev] OI Hipster 2017.10 snapshot

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:02:27 UTC 2017

After *much* fun I got Hipster 2017.10 to install on my Giada N3.  Firefox
> is marginally functional, very marginally  functional. It consumes roughly
> 1/2 of the 2 GB main memory.

One issue is also the processor, Intel Atom Diamondville is a poorly
performing architecture: in-order, little L2, poor FPU. Only Atom Avoton is
decent.
I bought a similarly spec'd D525-based Supermicro motherboard a few years
ago after reading positive reviews and it was a big disappointment.

> The first set of  output is from the first session when I was asked about
> telemetry.  The 2nd seems to relate to "getting into yahoo mail and trying
> to send a message." The part in quotes above  was all typed without echo.

> rhb at openindiana:~$ /usr/bin/firefox
> [Child 1674] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file
> /jenkins/jobs/oi-userland/workspace/components/web/
> firefox/firefox-52.4.1esr/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp, line 2152
> [Child 1674] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file
> /jenkins/jobs/oi-userland/workspace/components/web/
> firefox/firefox-52.4.1esr/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp, line 2152
> Killed
> rhb at openindiana:~$ /usr/bin/firefox
> 1510491023078   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> webcompat at mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023185   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> e10srollout at mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023297   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> aushelper at mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
> 1510491023407   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> firefox at getpocket.com did not contain an updates property
> 1510491026100   addons.update-checker   WARN    Update manifest for
> {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property

> Typing more than a few words is very problematic.
>
> The release notes asserted that one could install versions of OI in
> parallel.  Having successfully installed 151_a8 in the first 1/2 of the
> disk I tried installing Hipster in the 2nd half.  This was *not* good for
> 1515_a8..  The install seemed to go normally, but when I tried to log in,
> 2017.10  would not accept my password.  I moved the drive over to another
> 2017.10 instance on a z400 and cleared the passwords from /etc/shadow.
> After that the 2017.10 instance would not boot.
>
> I had intended to use the 2nd half of the disk to mirror the first half as
> protection against media failures.  However, ti appears that it is not
> possible access the 2nd MSDOS partition.  I used the text installer for all
> installs.  The typing latency is running to over a minute at times.
>

> The text installer would *not* allow me to have two Solaris partitions.
>
> Having discovered that the latency is because 2 GB is not enough memory,
> I'm not sure any of this matters.

Firefox has become a slow hippo even on my Core i5-3230 based Debian laptop
... unfortunately is seems an inevitable trend ...

--
---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings