[oi-dev] Xorg vmware_drv resize problem? (OI vmware guest)

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 03:24:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Michael Kruger <makruger2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/27/2017 10:54 AM, Gordon Ross wrote:
>
>> I tried after another update yesterday.  Same problem.
>>
>> After a little more experimenting, and I noticed that copy/paste
>> between the Windows host and the guest no longer work either.
>> As I understand it, both copy/paste and resize involve an interaction
>> between the hypervisor and the guest, and the vmware tools ("guest
>> additions") are a key part of the "plumbing" for those interactions.
>> Given that discovery, I suspect this is likely to be a compatibility
>> problem between the vmware Xorg driver and the vmware tools (provided
>> by vmware).
>> I wonder if it would be worth trying to build one of the "open vmware
>> tools" open-source packages.
>> Anyone have suggestions which to try?
>>

> Hi Gordon,
>
> I personally have not had the best of luck when installing vmware tools on
> OpenIndiana. Regardless of whether it was ESXi or the workstation player,
> the screen never auto-resized for me, and the mouse, once captured, would
> not escape the VM without doing a CRTL + ALT. No matter what I tried, Xorg
> just wouldn't load the virtual mouse driver.
>
> I also noticed the mouse does not work at all when using the new
> ESXI/VSphere web client. This came up in discussion last year.
>
> This is actually pretty important because from esxi 6.5U1 onwards, the C++
> based vsphere client no longer works.
>
> Most newer Linux distributions (Centos 7, Mint 18, Fedora, etc.) seem to
> be shipping with these capabilities already build in. Presumably they are
> all using open-vm-tools, but that's purely conjecture on my part.
>
> https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools
>
> A search of the OI-discuss archives suggests there was once such a package.

The component actually lives in oi-userland:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/components/sysutils/open-vm-tools

It is one of the components in the queue for fixing with gcc-6.
I think Alexander had a look earlier yesterday and mentioned that X11
support is not enabled.
Also it is only provided as 32-bit binary.

> Michael

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings