[oi-dev] Xorg vmware_drv resize problem? (OI vmware guest)

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 04:01:07 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  FYI, copy/paste and resize have usually worked
> for me, but broke with the most recent updates.

Yes we should investigate the possibility to ship a more comprehensive
package.
Unfortunately I have no access to any VMware solution but I'll be happy to
assist with the component and publish testing packages to xorg-testing if
there is any interest.
The input handling seems to have been reworked in Xorg 1.19. I am not sure
how it can affect though.

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Michael Kruger <makruger2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11/27/2017 10:54 AM, Gordon Ross wrote:
> >>
> >> I tried after another update yesterday.  Same problem.
> >>
> >> After a little more experimenting, and I noticed that copy/paste
> >> between the Windows host and the guest no longer work either.
> >> As I understand it, both copy/paste and resize involve an interaction
> >> between the hypervisor and the guest, and the vmware tools ("guest
> >> additions") are a key part of the "plumbing" for those interactions.
> >> Given that discovery, I suspect this is likely to be a compatibility
> >> problem between the vmware Xorg driver and the vmware tools (provided
> >> by vmware).
> >> I wonder if it would be worth trying to build one of the "open vmware
> >> tools" open-source packages.
> >> Anyone have suggestions which to try?
> >

> > Hi Gordon,
> >
> > I personally have not had the best of luck when installing vmware tools
> on
> > OpenIndiana. Regardless of whether it was ESXi or the workstation player,
> > the screen never auto-resized for me, and the mouse, once captured, would
> > not escape the VM without doing a CRTL + ALT. No matter what I tried,
> Xorg
> > just wouldn't load the virtual mouse driver.
> >
> > I also noticed the mouse does not work at all when using the new
> > ESXI/VSphere web client. This came up in discussion last year.
> >
> > This is actually pretty important because from esxi 6.5U1 onwards, the
> C++
> > based vsphere client no longer works.
> >
> > Most newer Linux distributions (Centos 7, Mint 18, Fedora, etc.) seem to
> be
> > shipping with these capabilities already build in. Presumably they are
> all
> > using open-vm-tools, but that's purely conjecture on my part.
> >
> > https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools
> >
> > A search of the OI-discuss archives suggests there was once such a
> package.
> >
> > Michael

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings