[oi-dev] Rust in userland?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:09:44 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM, Carsten Grzemba <grzemba at contac-dt.de>
wrote:

> On 15.08.18 23:03, *Aurélien Larcher * <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, August 15, 2018, Michal Nowak <mnowak at startmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/14/18 09:01 AM, Till Wegmüller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Could you use an earlier version of Rust as bootstrap for the current
>>> rust?
>>>
>>> There should be a guide for rust bootstraping around on the internet.
>>>
>>> You can look at golang 1.8 how bootstraping with an earlier version
>>> works.
>>>
>>> The Reason for that is, that we build all packages on a buildserver with
>>> jenkins. Where we will not install pkgsrc packages.
>>>
>>> Can you also check platform support? Last I remember solarish systems
>>> where a secondary platform and required patches.
>>>
>>> In any case when you need a reviewer just tag me on github i'll gladly
>>> take a look.
>>>
>>> Thanks and Greetings
>>> Till
>>>

>> Hi Till,
>>
>> I noticed that Joyent has very recent rust bootstraps, e.g.
>> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/pkgsrc/public/pkg-bootstrap
>> s/rust-1.28.0-x86_64-sun-solaris.tar.gz, which we could leverage as an
>> internal payload of the rust component. At least initially.
>

> That's what I used.
> Modulo a spurious compiler flag things went well.
>

>> Looking at platform support (https://forge.rust-lang.org/p
>> latform-support.html), Solaris is Tier 2 platform for which standard
>> library is guaranteed to build, though looking at Joyent's rust it seems to
>> me that rustc and cargo are doable as well.
>>
>> Thank you for your support, I'll get back to you when something
>> materialize :).
>>
>> Michal

> --
> ---
> Praise the Caffeine embeddings

> I notice this already, here are my recipe and patches adopted/inspired
> from Joyents pkgsrc
>
> https://github.com/cgrzemba/oi-userland/tree/rust/
> components/developer/rust

I remember now updating my recipe to yours but I needed some configuration
tweaks to deal with a few issues:
- /usr/bin/cc is default used as linker but it is sunstudio 12.1 so you
need to override it,
- AR should be specified,
- this recipe assumes that GCC runtime libraries are in /usr/lib/$(MACH64)
which is not true for us with GCC >= 6,
- the linker should be specified for the target as it is not passed from
the global settings.

Also rustc will eat up to 3GB of RAM so the host should have enough memory.

> --
> Carsten Grzemba

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings