[oi-dev] GCC 6 switch

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Feb 12 10:40:48 UTC 2018

Hello.

We've just finished (or almost finished) with GCC-6 migration.

What does it mean?

1) GCC 6 is the default oi-userland compiler now. GCC 4.9 is used only
to compile gcc-49 and illumos-gcc. Illumos-gcc 4.4.4 is still used to
build illumos-gate and gfx-drm.
(So you have no excuse for submitting components, which don't build with
GCC 6).

2) As GCC 6 runtime libraries live in /usr/gcc/6/lib and
/usr/gcc/6/lib/$(MACH64), we  have runpath embedded in a lot of
libraries. illumos-gate check_rtime doesn't like this, so build will
fail if you have -r flag in NIGHTLY_OPTIONS. So far, just remove it,
we'll try to find appropriate fix with illumos-gate developers a bit later.

3) We've merged code from
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3883 . This drastically
decreases time, spent by oi-userland in pkgdepend resolve phase. But
this also means, that if pkgdepend finds some dependency for the
component, it should be present in REQUIRED_PACKAGES (otherwise, resolve
will fail). Note, that on build server the whole world is installed. Be
sure to disable unused options or to test component with all possible
dependencies from oi-userland (and add them to REQUIRED_PACKAGES).
Due to this change we populated REQUIRED_PACKAGES for many components
and in theory could shrink build-essential to 'strictly required'
components ('gmake env-prep' is your friend).

4) There were some updates, not directly related to gcc-6:
- IIIM was finally removed (while I rebuilt everything, found that it's
broken and had no motivation to fix it), use ibus or xkbd.
- OpenJDK 8 was updated to 1.8.152.

5) Known issues:
- we found some issues with tmux, it seems it now can't properly handle
ctrl^c (likely related to the fact that now compiler links it to
/usr/lib/values-xpg6.o, and libraries suddenly become XPG6-aware).
- as due to gcc-6 migration oi-userland was completely rebuilt,
our /hipster repository significantly grew in size, we are likely going
to clean it up from old packages this week.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,