[oi-dev] [CFT] Upower / mate-power-manager test and review

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Jan 18 13:15:21 UTC 2018

On 01/12/18 04:19 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello, guys.
>
> It seems that my upower port finally is useful. I've tested it in
> VirtualBox VM and on my notebook (Thinkpad X1 Carbon). While testing on
> real hardware found some issues, which were not present in VM.

Hi.
I've been busy with upower/ConsoleKit/mate-power-manager for some time.
Now I have some updates.

Upower - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3869

1) Now it tends to crash less often - it seems to be able to handle
battery inserion/removal event and work on systems, which report ac
device presence, but doesn't have any battery device.
2) We can use new ConsoleKit port, so we modified Hibernate method so
that it in theory could work (don't have any system which actually can
hibernate).

mate-power-manager  - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3870

1) use pfexec instead of pkexec (yes, I know it's not the same, but it's
poor man's analog);
2) mate power manager now checks if Suspend is actually supported before
showing this item in menus (so we avoid "blank" menu entries);
3) I've imported subset of gnome-power-manager patch, and now mate power
manager can really lock screen (on suspend, on lid close and so on);
4) Menu with reaction on power button event is disabled - currently we
have no means to get power button event in unprivileged process without
using HAL (and no, I don't want to resurrect HAL support in
mate-power-manager). Perhaps, better idea is to make Xorg interact with
HAL (as it anyway already does this) to present xinput 'Power button'
device, so that mate-power-manager could process this event as any other
keyboard event.
5) The last change is related to ConsoleKit - I've fixed Hibernate/Sleep
method to work with our ConsoleKit.

ConsoleKit - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3873

I've imported upstream (rather old) patches to support
Suspend/Hibernate/CanSuspend/CanHibernate methods and added
solaris-specific scripts to actually call uadmin with necessary
parameters. The issue is that current ConsoleKit has changed method
signatures to match logind, but I haven't imported these patches due to
differences in code base. Updating ConsoleKit to the latest one would
likely fix these issues, but we'll have to inspect a lot of
Solaris-specific patches (including patches necessary for SunRay
support) to do this, I'm not ready for this yet. Any volunteers here?

mate-session-manager - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3879

It needs small fixes to account for incompatible Suspend/Hibernate
method signatures.

lightdm - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/3874

It needs small fixes to be able to use ConsoleKit to Suspend/Hibernate
system.

One issue that currently I see is that when system is resumed after
sleep Intel video adapter doesn't behave properly -
https://www.illumos.org/issues/8971 (I'd prefer to leave it to someone
qualified :)) .

I've prepared test images with latest OI and all modified packages
installed:
http://buildzone.oi-build.r61.net/isos-upower/2017-01-18/

--
С уважением,