[oi-dev] Build of gcc-7.3.0 stops with linker errors

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun May 20 02:33:14 UTC 2018

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 09:08:32PM -0400, Richard Lowe wrote:
>    I would not be surprised, if enabling crt*S is still an illumos patch,
>    if that patch was not somehow wrong.  I don't have a SPARC to actually
>    check it.

I haven't tracked it down completely, but it seems that the main
problem is that gcc has not built those files, even though it requires
them later in the build.

I have learned a few things in my reading, though.  The crtbeginS.o
and crtendS.o files are special versions of crtbegin.o and crtend.o
that are compiled with -fPIC .  They are needed by C++ shared
libraries for global constructors and destructors.  The file names are
passed by the compiler on the linker command line.  That'll be why
I got the error messages I did.

I'm currently building gcc-4.9.4 from the oi-userland source.  As far
as I can tell, it doesn't use those files.  I expect it will build.

Those files are included with the gcc-5, gcc-6, and gcc-7 binary
packages of oi-userland for x86.