[oi-dev] Mate Schema error ?

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Nov 9 13:51:02 UTC 2018

On 09/11/2018 14:00, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 09/11/2018 12:06, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> Hi, I noticed that the mouse right click menu is not available on
>> MATE. The necessary switch for this should be org.mate.desktop.background
>> 'show-desktop-icons' = true. However, despite it is show in dconf
>> under the org/mate/desktop/ schema, the name of this switch is
>> shown and configurable only as org.mate.background. Possible ommission
>> of the /desktop/ folder ? That would explain why the right mouse
>> still doesn't work even when switching this (and the corresponding
>> gnome/ entry) off and on again.
>
> Played around with the org.mate. schemata in /usr/share/glib-2.0,
> but no progress. The dichotomy in the nameing scheme stems from
> a special 'path=' argument for the background schema, but the
> mate names in general apparently don't use the desktop folder (and
> editing this into the file, renaming and compiling it causes indeed
> loss of all those preferences).
> So no clue yet why the show-desktop-icons switch doesn't work, and
> right click mouse shows no context menu (on background).

Logging in as a non-root user makes the right mouse context menu
available. So I thought this is something in old config files
for root, deleted .config, .cache, .gconf*, .gnome*, .local,
.elementary, .themes (from offline), logged in again, set
org.mate.background show-desktop-icons to true, re-logged in
again, but still no icons and no context menu.

So all I can conclude now is that all these mate switches
do specifically not work with the root account.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php