[oi-dev] Core i9 supported ?

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Sun Oct 14 17:16:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

after my personal X99 Asus board with a core i7 reached the point
of its very near death, I ordered in a hurry an Asus X299 board and
had to take an i9 7940X Skylake-X Kaby Lake series processor (there
are currently availablity problems for alternatives like the i7-7820X).

Shortly after that, I stumbled over that infamous Phoronix post from
last year:
<https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenIndiana-7900X-Hipster>

So the question is: Is the core i9 now supported with the current
Hipster ? Any experiences with a C299 chipset based board ?

It seems that the illumos HCL could have an additional entry for
CPUs supported. Also, newer boards are mostly missing, so I will
add entries for that new board and its components if I have success.

Thanks for any help !
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php