[oi-dev] Packages only in the main repository

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Oct 25 16:47:40 UTC 2018

On 25/10/2018 18:31, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:44 PM Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
> <mailto:alan.coopersmith at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/24/18 06:14 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>     > On 24/10/2018 14:39, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>     > Motif is still needed for some applications, but isn't there OpenMotif ?
>
>     Yes - but it's not binary compatible with the old Solaris Motif 1.2 or 2.1
>     so you'll need to recompile the apps to use it.
>
>     > libXaw is still needed, but again, freedesktop.org
>     <http://freedesktop.org> has a free alternative.
>
>     Right - these are the X11R4 & X11R5 versions for backwards binary compatibility.
>     X.Org currently ships libXaw7 upstream, which is in a different OI package.
>
> Would you recommend still providing binaries for Motif and the old Athena Widgets?

If Motif is indeed binary incompatible, it would be important to keep, e.g.
the widget system of IDL (the proprietary ancestor of GDL) and SGE
(Sun Grid Engine) are based on Motif (and are heavily used here).
I'd be more relaxed about Xaw, but I don't know really were this is
still used (I only know about a few instances of Xaw3d...).

I currently have no time to check if OpenMotif can just be used
there, I'll report back, but probably not any time soon.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php