[oi-dev] Sendmail logging to wrong facility

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 18 17:37:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 06:03:48PM +0100, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>    add this to your syslog.conf:
>    mail.info;daemon.info           ifdef(`LOGHOST',
>    /var/log/syslog, @loghost)

So, you had the same problem.  Good.  It exists.  Thanks for that
information.

>    I found it out by adding every possible log format to the file until I
>    could work out what had changed.

I don't like your workaround, however:

$ grep sendmail /var/adm/messages | wc -l
      56
$ grep daemon.info /var/adm/messages | wc -l
   11624

I'm mainly trying to work out what had changed.

My original question was:

    How do I determine the caller?  I need to examine the startup of the
    MTA, as that's where the openlog() calls occur.