[oi-dev] 2018.10 targets

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 09:39:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM Alexander Pyhalov via oi-dev <
oi-dev at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> We are approaching October.
> While I have limited time now, I want to coordinate priorities and
> targets, what should we do till end of October (and due to personal
> reasons, I'd better announce snapshot till 20 October or earlier or allow
> someone else to do this).
>
> We have several regressions and problems, which would be good to fix.
>
> 1) Virtualbox failure after FPU changes
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/9761 ,
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17947 is a serious one, but I'm afraid
> I lack skills to fix it in reasonable time. The stack trace itself doesn't
> seem related to illumos-gate changes, but likely it is. In KVM Joyent fixed
> this using new hma_fpu_* API, but Virtualbox structures to store VM
> registers differ and from brief overlook it has several asm functions to
> store/restore Host/Base registers state. So far I don't have an idea how
> convert one to another. So, this likely will be broken in 2018.10 unless
> someone skillful dig into this.
>
> 2) sbcl issues - threaded sbcl can not be built after KPTI changes, it
> fails FLOCK and posix tests. Needs investigation. It's a serious issue,
> because threaded sbcl is needed to build pgloader.
>
> 3) Our Mate is a bit old, but newer Mate requires updated GTK3 .  Updated
> GTK3 IIRC has dropped support for theme engines, and so our Nimbus theme
> based on unico engine doesn't work. Also I've heard there were issues with
> new mate-terminal.
> Michal, do you have some comments here?
>
> 4) As for new features, I really want to see KVM zones, perhaps, I'll dig
> into this shortly.
>
> Does somebody have another targets/comments?
>
> Please, avoid turning this topic in bike-shedding, I want to hear OI
> developers in a way "I ll take item #N" or "I expect to finish feature A
> before snapshot", not "please, also fix this and that".

Hi Alexander,
I'll be busy as well and my skills are not up to tasks #1 or #2... the only
tracks I can pursue for now are:
1) fixing pkg and gfx-drm components so that we can migrate userland to
gcc-8 before or after the snapshot.
2) pushing Firefox 60esr
3) updating Xorg to latest
4) fixing openmpi which has been broken before summer

If I have time to fix audacity then we can also update ffmpeg and vlc.
I had some fixes for drm/i915 but my Intel box died 4 months ago so this is
on hold until I can replace it.
Kind regards,

Aurélien

> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Southern Federal University IT department

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings