[oi-dev] pulseaudio issues

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 1 17:54:29 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 08:04:00AM +0000, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> Gary, I've opened
> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/4922 to discuss your
> proposed changes to pulseaudio.

Thanks.  That will help.

> I honestly don't understand them. I mean, if we accept these
> changes, what use do we have from mod_oss (and our giant patch to
> it)?

My changes are in addition to that patch and modify the same file.

> I've resurrected this patch from JDS when understood that
> current mod_solaris have no means to enumerate and select audio
> devices and just uses AUDIODEV (or /dev/audio). How user is supposed
> to change audio device?

It is possible to enumerate audio devices.  They are all called
/dev/sound/[0-9], where the number is the instance number.  The other
devices have that number embedded in the name.  /dev/audio is simply a
symlink to /dev/sound/0 .

That's the way to select them, with the AUDIODEV environment variable.
It's explained in two existing man pages.  audio(7i) says this:

       Because some systems may contain more than one audio device,
       application writers are encouraged to query the AUDIODEV environment
       variable. If this variable is present in the environment, its value
       should identify the path name of the default audio device.

audioctl(1) says:

       AUDIODEV
                   The full path name of the default audio device to use if
                   one is not specified on the command line.  If this variable
                   is not set, /dev/audio is used.

The login GUI sources several files to set the environment for
application GUIs.  The .profile file is the usual place for the user
to set environment variables.