[oi-dev] pulseaudio issues

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 8 01:47:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 07:11:47AM +0000, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> It seems reasonable. The issue I see is that our mod_oss is almost
> a complete fork of pulseaudio mod_oss. Solaris somehow manages to
> use module_oss without patches, and I honestly don't understand how
> this works.

Here's what I did so far, all in module-detect.  I modified it so that
it obtains the device name from the AUDIODEV contents, defaulting to
/dev/audio .  It then calculates the corresponding dsp device name.
That's because module-oss only works with a dsp device.  Instead of
argument.  I also removed module-oss from the /etc/pulse/default.pa
file.  Pulseaudio had formerly loaded module-oss with no arguments.
I didn't want two copies running.  I tested these changes without
AUDIODEV set in my environment.  They seemed to work, although I
couldn't tell because it defaults to the wrong audio device.

Then I added:

    AUDIODEV=/dev/sound/1

and tested it again.  With `tput bel' in a terminal window, I did hear
the beep in my speakers.  It worked.  When I looked at the Sound
Preferences GUI application, it showed the Sound theme set to `No
sounds' and both Input and Output set to /dev/dsp1.  So far, so good.

Then I tried changing some settings in that GUI application.  When I
changed Sound theme to `Default', it changed back to `No sounds'.  I
also tried increasing the output volume.  This display was curious
because the 100% mark was about 2/3 of the way along the slider.  I
was able to set it above 100%.  When I checked, the audio had
disappeared.  Something happened, but I don't know what.  Even when I
logged out, killed the pulseaudio daemon, and logged in again, I still
didn't have audio.  So far, I haven't been able to get it back.