[oi-dev] I figured out exactly why Firefox and its forks can't link libxul.so with illumos LD.

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Aug 20 15:25:54 UTC 2019

On 8/19/19 4:17 AM, Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> He provides two important pieces of information here. One is that GCC
> doesn't output the symbols that the Sun linker requires to do to the
> proper relocation of STABs in ELF format. The other is that on Solaris,
> people have been known to use a zero value to get the address from ELF
> symbols. And if you look at this official Solaris Firefox repository,
> you'll see they have this:
>
> https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/blob/82dd4adb0eca729372074d62435e00a783d95b1f/components/desktop/firefox/patches/firefox-41-static-xul-components.patch

That's from the Firefox 38 set of patches.   I passed this note on to
the maintainer of those for Solaris, and he pointed out the patch is
gone in Firefox 60 and later, due to this upstream fix instead:

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/3fd81dad7c8b

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc