[oi-dev] How to create an ISO correctly?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Tue Aug 27 06:56:54 UTC 2019

Hi Gary!

> Another progress report and some questions: I have now replaced all
> v9os packages with oi-userland packages.  There are no v9os packages
> left.  My T2000 has only oi-userland packages, ones that I have built.

Nice!

> It boots correctly.  The publisher name is oi-userland, not the usual
> userland or openindiana.org .  That difference raises my first
> question.
>
> I've read the information on distribution-constructor:
>
>     http://docs.openindiana.org/dev/distribution-constructor/
>
> as well as the man page for distro_const .  Neither of them answered
> my questions completely.
>
> Will distro_const change the publisher in the ISO file, both for the
> packages and the `pkg publisher' command?  How do I do this?

Good question!  Haven't used the Distro Constructor for years...

Have you looked at the XML files in the /usr/share/distro_const tree?
Maybe it is enough just to replace the current publisher and origin
with the values of your new repository?

> If not, can the publisher be changed on the host system?  Does the
> publisher in `pkg publisher' have to match the one in the file
> repository?

Not sure if I understand this... you have installed lots of oi-userland
packages but your publisher is still v9os?  Surely you *also* have
oi-userland as a publisher.  Just delete all references to v9os.

If all else fails you can manually edit the "master" file located in
/var/pkg/pkg5.image, clean all the caches and do a "pkg refresh --full".
That might kill your kitten^WT2000 though.  YMMV :-)

> I see that the XML file used by distro_const specifies `entire' as the
> package that includes all the packages to install to the ISO file.
> My system has no package `entire'.  How do I create and populate it?
> Will it include some packages that do not exist?  Will this be a
> problem?

The "entire" package just lists all consolidations as dependencies.  If
you have a file with all the consolidation names, it could be generated
by a script.  Look at some examples (don't have an OI system running
ATM).  The lines basically have the format

  depend fmri=<consolidation> type=<type>

where <type> is "require" when the consolidation must be installed, and
"incorporate" when just the matching version is specified. (Someone more
knowledgeable with IPS please correct me if I'm wrong please.)

> Finally, how do I create a USB image from the CD image?

Another good question.  Not sure if this is possible for SPARC.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"