[oi-dev] Would OI be interested in Pale Moon?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 12:55:15 UTC 2019

Jeremy,
Nice backstory.
Any interest in working and reviewing a Firefox 68.3.0esr port to OI?
The trials and tribulations of porting....
~K
    On Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 10:39:15 PM PST, Jeremy Andrews <athenian200 at outlook.com> wrote:

 I ported UXP to illumos and Solaris recently, and I got them to take the
code upstream. I'm pretty anxious about the process now honestly, and
really want everything to work out. There are a few things I'm worried
about, though.

1. I'm not very familiar with how packages are actually packaged for OI,
and the p5m file for Firefox in particular is... so complicated that
I've been holding off creating a Pale Moon system package for OI until
now, when they're pushing me to try. I was hoping that the subject
wouldn't come up and they'd just want to distribute a binary .tar.xz
file like they do for other operating systems (that kind of package is
very easy to create with a single command). I'm so mixed up because the
.p5m file for Firefox 52 looks so different from the one for Firefox 60,
and includes all these header files, is for 32-bit, etc. And I'm trying
to figure out which differences are due to a change in package design,
and which are due to actual differences in Firefox.

2. Pale Moon has some unusual requirements. For one thing, it can't use
the system NSS because Mozilla has changed the API somewhat since they
forked. In general, they're leery of using system libraries over the
ones in their own tree because sometimes those libraries have to be
modified in specific ways for the browser. On top of that, they seem to
have a problem with distributing the langpacks with the browser. They
have a site where you can download a langpack of your choice, but you
can't ship it with the browser for some reason.

I'm kind of afraid now that I've done all this for nothing. I'm worried
that their packaging requirements and our packaging requirements may not
line up, and I'll wind up only being able to distribute a tarball on my
own web space that no one will ever download. It's a very good browser,
and the people behind it are actually decent people, but... I'm
overwhelmed with the sense that I've gotten in over my head.