[oi-dev] Would OI be interested in Pale Moon?

Matt A. Tobin email at mattatobin.com
Wed Dec 11 19:37:56 UTC 2019

The Pale Moon redistribution license is very clear
http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml . However, Jeremy Andrews
approached us to facilitate (re)introduction of Modern Solaris (and
flavors there of) support back into the Unified XUL Platform.

I understand how poor choice of words in the openbsd-wip github issue
may sour you. However, as Jeremy has been in charge of this effort for a
few months now and would be maintaining the packages in-line with our
various project licenses. I do not see how a problem like the one at
openbsd-wip would occur regardless of how things were phrased then. He
has already committed to maintaining the support in UXP for Modern
Solaris. So he would be responsible for continued maintenance of a Pale
Moon or Interlink package for OpenIndiana.

He worked with us every step of the way to facilitate bringing support
to release level. He did all this because he believed in both us and all
of you. Then he was granted permission to use the Official trademarked
branding from Moonchild Productions and Binary Outcast in order to bring
Pale Moon and Interlink Mail & News (and when release, Borealis
Navigator) to OpenIndiana users via your package system.

WE are not suggesting that we would be a sole replacement for your
Mozilla packages that you offer (and are stalled on) but I believe some
users may find us a good alternative. The person here that is committed
to providing packages is also providing the code level support at the
"upstream" projects for these applications. He also has our confidence
and support to do so. So there would be quite a bit of coordination here.

BUT, that isn't what has happened this day. No, this day did not turn
out as hoped for by the young programmer. Something very different
happened. He, and by extension, all of us who work on the Unified XUL
Platform and the projects, Pale Moon included, that build on it have
been rejected out of hand. SIMPLY because of some trumped up encounter
with those who did not bother to ask for permission, haven't spoken to
us and outright reject intellectual property rights and software
licenses aside from their particular chosen one. A situation I might add
that isn't the same as this one AND was quite a while ago now. Yet it is
being treated as such.

So here we are, I am writing to all of you because someone I have come
to know and who worked very hard to bring his chosen software to his
chosen OS for all to use and enjoy has been crushed. What does this say
about the Open Source community and more importantly about people in
general these days?

Thank you for your time,

Matt A. Tobin
Commanding Officer