[oi-dev] Weird man page construction

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:36:10 UTC 2019

Hi,

I was wondering for a while now why I could not grep man pages anymore,
like 'man ftp|grep netrc', which was working a couple of OI versions
before. Today I really got curious and found these weird constructions
in the man page output 'man ftp|od -tc'

0121460  \b   ~   /  \b   /   .  \b   .   n  \b   n   e  \b   e   t  \b
0121500   t   r  \b   r   c  \b   c  \n  \n   A  \b   A   T  \b   T   T

That means: most of the characters are backspaced and written again !
Checked a couple of man pages, most of them have these useless
sequences in them, so grepping man pages is mostly impossible now.

Is this really intended, or produces some document tool this garbage
in the process of man page generation ?
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php