[oi-dev] Am I stuck?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 1 21:55:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:42:41PM -0400, Richard Lowe wrote:
> Reason:  No version for 'require' dependency on system/mta can be found
>
> Seems a leaf failure, does one really not exist?

Yes, that was the problem.  Package system/mta was missing.  When I
built and installed, it the update looked much better:

    # pkg update -n
                Packages to remove:   3
               Packages to install:  10
                Packages to update: 300
                Packages to change:   1
               Mediators to change:   1
           Create boot environment: Yes
    Create backup boot environment:  No

However, I was stymied by the next error when I tried an update in
the usual manner:

    # pkg update --be-name oi-20190626

    pkg update: Boot environment naming during package install is not supported on this
    version of OpenSolaris. Please update without the --be-name option.

When I tried it as suggested, I got this error:

    # pkg update
                Packages to remove:   3
               Packages to install:  10
                Packages to update: 299
                Packages to change:   1
               Mediators to change:   1
           Create boot environment: Yes
    Create backup boot environment:  No

    DOWNLOAD                                PKGS         FILES    XFER (MB)   SPEED
    Completed                            313/313     8647/8647  111.4/111.4    0B/s

    pkg: Unable to clone the current boot environment.

Finally, I used `beadm create' to do the clone, and `pkg -R /mnt
update' to do the update on the newly-created BE.  After I rebuilt the
boot archive on the clone and activated it, it booted nicely.  All of
the illumos-gate packages had been replaced with newly-published
versions.

I don't know what caused the boot environment naming problem.