[oi-dev] Toward a SPARC distro of OI

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 11 18:10:11 UTC 2019

I'm part way through this long project now.  I began with v9os
installed on a Sun T2000.  v9os is a SPARC distribution that uses IPS
packages.  I've been building IPS packages from oi-userland source.
This process has gotten easier now that all the build tools I need are
in IPS packages.  I've been replacing v9os packages with oi-userland
packages.  My goal is to replace all of them, and finally to produce a
text ISO and package repository for SPARC that's entirely based on
oi-userland.

So far, I've built and packaged versions 5, 6, and 7 of the gcc
compiler.  The commands for IPS packages are all packaged for python
2.7.  My system now has 106 packages installed from oi-userland,
versus 343 packages from v9os.  Most of the oi-userland products
required very few or no changes to build and package for SPARC.

For perl, I've removed the 5.16.1 version from v9os and installed
versions 5.22 and 5.24 from oi-userland.  Likewise, for python, I've
removed 2.6 and installed 2.7 and 3.4.  Perl libraries are all
packaged for 5.22.  Python libraries are all packaged for 2.7.

I'm submitting this message to the mailing list mostly as a progress
report.  I would, of course, appreciate a bit of help with this
project.