[oi-dev] [developer] suspend/resume in Illumos

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 12 08:01:25 UTC 2019

On June 11, 2019 9:29:23 PM UTC, randyf at sibernet.com wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, Toomas Soome via illumos-developer wrote:
>
>> I’d say, anything to encourage people to try, use and join to develop
>[illumos] is very welcome. Better laptop support will definitely be
>> bonus.
>
> Betting better graphics support would be higher on the list (yea, the
>other 'dropped' project).
>
>   Cheers!
>
>        ---- Randy
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 11 Jun 2019, at 22:58, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>>
>> My gut instinct is that this isn’t that interesting – most everyone
>is running illumos in either VMs, or in datacenter
>> applications where suspend/resume has little if any applicability.
>>
>> While the work itself is probably interesting, and it may enable new
>applications for illumos, the concern I’d have would be
>> detraction from other more pressing work, without any clear use cases
>for it.
>>
>> That said, if someone (you?) wanted to spend cycles on this for
>personal satisfaction, I hardly see any reason to discourage it,
>> and I’m fairly certain if the risks of the new code being introduced
>are small (or well managed by sufficient testing for
>> example), I can’t see any other reason we would reject a suitably
>formed RTI.
>>
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

For my 2c, I have to use OI in a VM rather than baremetal on my laptop (would love to some day; it is part of my daily desktop for years now) because of a mix of these issues. While graphics and wifi drivers might be worked around by careful choice of hardware for a new rig, effective lack of sleep/hibernate is a big problem.

My sessions of desktop OS uptime tend to be weeks and months long, many apps and tabs open... so rebooting every morning is not quite an option.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android