[oi-dev] Where should SPARC go?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 27 14:58:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 09:01:38AM +0100, Michal Nowak wrote:

> Whatever the terminology on the projects relation, what I am really
> interested in is the OI amd64 development not being adversely affected.

We agree.  That's one of my objectives too.

> Although I am not excited about it, I don't mind SPARC changes in the
> OpenIndiana GitHub projects (Makefiles, patches, .p5m files, ...), provided
> that OI does not guarantee anything for SPARC, including:
>
> * we update a component which fails to build on SPARC, we don't retract,

That's fine.  It will be fixed by me or one of the other SPARC
developers.

> * updated component's SPARC patch fails to apply and it's too complicated to
> fix it, we remove it for the time being and re-apply when SPARC developers
> come up with a fixed patch,

That's quite unlikely to happen.  The changes are usually quite
simple.  In most cases there are no changes.

> * we don't test that changes build the less work on SPARC

I don't understand this condition.

> I don't think that's a great experience for SPARC re-builders from
> OpenIndiana/oi-userland.

It's still better than having no modern and free OS available for
SPARC equipment.