[oi-dev] Where should SPARC go?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 28 16:43:18 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 06:57:02PM +0000, ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
>    Gary,
>    1. Testing a newer compile of the current illumos-gate snapshot seems
>    reasonable to ensure everything still works with your SPARC-related
>    changes.

Yes, that's one of my plans.  At the moment, I'm preparing to build
openjdk.  That entails building and publishing about 20 X11 libraries.
This is very difficult under OI because of all the circular
dependencies.  It's much easier on the x86 platform because all you
have to do is to pkg install those libraries from the repository
first.  On SPARC, they aren't there, making it much more difficult.
I'm doing it in stages.  I'm almost there.

>             Ref:
>    [1]https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/commit/f52943a93040563107b95
>    bccb9db87d9971ef47d

This one seems unrelated to the OI SPARC distribution.

>    I'll review your SPARC-related tickets, if you have any porting issues
>    with recent oi-userland on SPARC - did you provide a list as well?

I don't think I submitted any SPARC-related bug reports for illumos:
they were all for OI.  Here's the list:

    11886 11889 11890 11891 11893 11896 11898
    11899 11900 11905 11907 11920 11921 11925
    11926 11936 11937

Some of them have been converted to PRs already.  Some have been merged.