[oi-dev] Errors from distro constructor

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 5 22:06:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 08:03:44PM +0200, Michal Nowak wrote:

> We had to put a workaround in place couple weeks ago:
> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/5272/files#diff-0ae6c3c34f4c69bd3afbca4a2db7c821.
> Perhaps you need to pull the fix locally? (My DC build using the
> openindiana.org publisher succeeds.)

The bug is in:

    /usr/share/distro_const/boot_archive_archive.py

It builds the boot archive differently for SPARC and non-SPARC
hardware.  The problem is that the python script uses os.system(), in
many places, which re-parses the previously-built command line by the
shell.  The shell does this incorrectly when the file name contains
characters that need to be quoted.  The parsing can be corrected by
surrounding the file names with single quote characters, assuming that
it doesn't already contain quote characters.  A better solution would
be to avoid invoking the shell at all.  After all, the file names are
already correct.

> The better way is to fix our Python 3 pkg:
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/11636.

The python 2.7 script is built and installed as part of the distro
constructor consolidation.  Fixes are difficult for this old version
of python.