[oi-dev] 64 or 32_and_64 for dependency "leaf" ?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 01:48:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:53 PM Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> wrote:

> All-
>
> When rebuilding or updating a component that doesn't have any shared
> libraries, so it's effectively a "leaf" on the dependency tree, should
> the component be built 64 bit or 32_and_64?
>
> The component I'm currently looking at is sound-juicer, but the same
> question likely applies to any other component that is one or two
> executables and support files, with no shared libraries of its own.
>
> I looked at both the "Building with oi-userland" and the "Existing tasks"
> docs on docs.openindiana.org and don't see this discussed.  Apologies if
> it's documented and I missed it.

Hello,
except if there is a real incentive to provide 32-bit executables, e.g if
the binary performs code generation defined by the bitness, the current
move is to keep 64-bit only.
That has been the case for example with Python or the X11 stack.

Kind regards,

Aurélien

> Tim
> --
> Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
> Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076 (Voice)
> Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)
> North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings