[oi-dev] squeak4 package for openindiana

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 16:58:10 UTC 2020

Am 27.04.20 um 17:20 schrieb stes at PANDORA.BE:

> Hello,
>
> Hopefully this is not off-topic for this list, because I've just subscribed.
Hello and welcome David,

> In order to make it easy to install the "Smalltalk" programming language,
> I've created a components/smalltalk directory in oi-userland.
>
> I believe that Smalltalk has many dialects, one of them is "squeak4".
I already know Squeak and Pharo and some other Smalltalk dialects and
happy that you provide us with my favorite programming environment :)

> In a fork of oi-userland, in a branch called "smalltalk",
> I've placed some patches for the squeak system,
> so that squeak 4.16.7 compiles with gcc 7.5 on OpenIndiana Hipster.
>
> It's the old classic Squeak version 4.x which works with Smalltalk images
> 4.x (like 4.6) from http://squeak.org.   It does not work with v5.x images.
So, there's room for later enhancements :D

> The patches are now at :
>
> https://github.com/cstes/oi-userland/tree/smalltalk
>
> I've also created a "pull request" on github (#Smalltalk #5694).
I already gave some remarks.

> I have preserved the LICENSE file to give the Squeak team credit:
>
> root at phobos:~# pkg list squeak4
> NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
> runtime/squeak4 (userland)                        4.16.7                     i--
>
> root at phobos:~# type squeak
> squeak is /usr/bin/squeak
>
> root at phobos:~# pkg info --license squeak4
> Source files below 'platforms/Cross' in this distribution that do not
> contain individual copyright and license notices, and
>
> Source files below 'platforms/unix/src' in this distribution that do
> not contain individual copyright and license notices are:
>
>    Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Viewpoints Research Institute and other
>                               authors/contributors as listed.
>
>   All rights reserved.
>
> All other source files below platforms/unix in this distribution that do not
> contain individual copyright and license notices are:
>
>    Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Ian Piumarta and other authors/contributors
>                               listed in individual source files.
>
>    All rights reserved.
>
> For all of the above files:
>
>    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
>    of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
>    in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
>    to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
>    copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
>    furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>
>    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
>    all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
>    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
>    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
>    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
>    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
>    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
>    OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
>    SOFTWARE.
>

> I'm new to the process of submitting a package Makefile to oi-userland.
>
> The page:
>
> 	https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Getting+Involved
>
> suggests writing an e-mail to the oi-dev mailing list.
>
> How is this process working ?
You will get some comments you should follow. If everything is fine
(approved) you will be asked to "squash" all your commits into a single
one (we want our repository to be clean) and then one of the maintainers
will merge your
PR into oi-userland.

Best regards,
Andreas