[oi-dev] Totem sad story

Alexander Pyhalov alp at sfedu.ru
Fri Feb 21 07:56:02 UTC 2020

Hi.
Currently we ship slightly patched (just 12 patches ;)) totem 3.0.1.
The issue is that somewhere between 3.0.1 and 3.1 totem moved to clutter-gst.
Last time I looked at it, totem used OpenGL to draw video and this could work really ugly, for example, in VirtualBox non-accelerated environment.
So, we came with 3.0.1 version. This is a bit of context...

Now, why we need totem: due to fact that it's plain gstreamer player, there's no license issues with distributing player (v.s. , for example, vlc).

The problem which made me look at it again is that totem currently depends on Python 2.
And I hope to remove Python 2.7 from base images till 2020.04.

Now, I came with this solution - https://github.com/pyhalov/totem/tree/py3  which gets about 60 patches from upstream to switch to python 3.
I dislike idea just to create component with 60 patches on top of totem 3.0.1, so basic idea is to create own outdated totem clone. Sounds perfect, right? But at least this approach costs me about a day of the work and is
already kind of working - https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/5565 .
I appreciate some testing of this component.

Another option is to dig in clutter-gst and recent totem, but I'm not sure in the result.

Of course I consider second option to  be correct one, but for now I don't have time to dig into it.

Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,