[oi-dev] Totem sad story

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Feb 22 08:15:23 UTC 2020

In regard to: RE: [oi-dev] Totem sad story, Alexander Pyhalov said (at...:

> If it worked for you, it costs looking at. Have you actually used it
> with non-nvidia adapter (at least, in virtualbox or with vesa)?

I just tried it in virtualbox again tonight.  On a 1080p movie trailer
using x264 encoding, it performed very, very poorly.  I wouldn't consider
it usable, at least for stuff at that resolution.  I can't compare that
to current totem in OI because current totem is using gstreamer-0.x, and
I haven't been able to find a plugin that will decode x264 for that
series.

I'll submit what I have when I get a chance, but it probably won't be
before Monday.

Tim
> ??: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu>
> ??????????: 21 ??????? 2020 ?. 22:36
> ????: Alexander Pyhalov via oi-dev
> ????: Re: [oi-dev] Totem sad story
>
> In regard to: [oi-dev] Totem sad story, Alexander Pyhalov via oi-dev said...:
>
>> Another option is to dig in clutter-gst and recent totem, but I'm not
>> sure in the result.
>
> I've built clutter-gst and a bunch of the other prereqs needed for a more
> modern totem.  I built totem 3.24 on hipster perhaps 3 or 4 months ago.
> At the time, 3.24 was the newest I could build because anything after that
> required meson.  I haven't been back to it since hipster got meson and
> meson.mk/ninja.mk.
>
> The clutter-based interface is wildly different from the current
> interface.  I recall there were some issues with the new grilo-based
> plugins, including the youtube & vimeo plugins.  I didn't look any deeper
> into that.
>
> I can dust this off and submit pulls for the work that I have, if you want
> to take a look at it.

Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)