[oi-dev] Building openjdk-8-162 with gcc-6 on SPARC

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 13 15:01:45 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:25:25AM +0100, Jean-Pierre André wrote:

> A simple way to avoid this kind of optimization, is to put the
> function in its own file, so that the compiler cannot know it
> can be inlined. Compiling the function itself may however cause
> an error for returning a pointer to a freed location.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Using a separate file is difficult in
this case because the file names are generated from the OS and CPU
types.  For example, the OI SPARC file is:

    openjdk/hotspot/src/os_cpu/solaris_sparc/vm/os_solaris_sparc.cpp

but the OI x86 file is:

    openjdk/hotspot/src/os_cpu/solaris_x86/vm/os_solaris_x86.cpp

There's also no nearby Makefile that I can use to reduce the compiler
optimization level.  Openjdk source is quite complicated.

It's quite possible that nobody else has attempted to build openjdk
with gcc on SPARC hardware.  Someone who understands stack overflow
with a SPARC CPU may be able to give me the information I need.  I'm
willing to do the rest of the work to get openjdk working.