[oi-dev] pkg -- huge RSS

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:39:07 UTC 2020

Hi Gordon

Unfortunately yes. We included a patch on the 7th of March which should
make things a little bit better. There is still work needing to be done
though. We are approaching this from a few angles but it's going to take
time to replace components with more efficient ones. And find the things
which are causing this exactly If you want to see some detailed
benchmarks how we did it for the Update in march you can find them in
the PR here [0]. If I know which specific thing is eating RSS I can work
on replacing that with a bit of Rust code. That works well together with
python and I know some people which can help make it work.

If you are interested in helping, I can add documentation to my quite
extensive experiments with the IPS formats. I have a almost working repo
server (only search is missing) and pkgrepo in Go [1]. And I am working
on getting it ported to Rust [2].

Greetings
Till

[0] https://github.com/OpenIndiana/pkg5/pull/75