[oi-dev] OS New Name

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Mar 1 15:16:55 UTC 2020

Hello Rodrigo,

I also think that OpenIndiana is not a good name for an operating
system. But someone has chosen the name in the past and did all the work.
Now the name is established and it is not easy to change it to something
else. An name change will probably irritate a lot of existing users, let
alone it will probably create costs (eg. register a new domain).

We really need more helping hands to master the actual work to maintain
the distribution (hint: we need more maintainers, please consider
thinking about what you can do to help OpenIndiana). Changing the name
creates a lot of work for almost no gain.

Regards
Andreas