[oi-dev] Anybody else running named on OI

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 17 23:26:21 UTC 2020

After a recent OI update and reboot, I found that the nameserver no
longer ran.  The service log showed:

    dns-server: Executing: /usr/sbin/named  -u named in '/root'
    dns-server : start failed! Check syslog for further information.

The messages log said:

    Aug  2 19:29:17 qtpie named[1937]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] the working directory is not writable
    Aug  2 19:29:17 qtpie named[1937]: [ID 873579 daemon.crit] loading configuration: permission denied
    Aug  2 19:29:17 qtpie named[1937]: [ID 873579 daemon.crit] exiting (due to fatal error)

The service is: svc:/network/dns/server:default .  It's bind version
9.16.0, if that matters.

My configuration file is /etc/named.conf, the default, with zone files
in /var/named .  Apparently, it was attempting to run named as user
named, starting in /root .  named's home directory, /var/chroot/named,
does not exist.  Creating that directory did not help.

I had to delete the options/user property value from the service to
get it to work.  Now it runs as root, without the `-u named' option.
This is not ideal.  Are any of you running named in the default
configuration?  How did you accomplish this?