[oi-dev] Anybody else running named on OI

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 18 19:36:22 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 05:25:49PM +0200, Till Wegmüller wrote:

> Looks like a config error to me.

Maybe I am the only person running named on OI.

> Your named was trying to run in the working directory /root as user
> named. That of course will not work :)

/root is root's home directory.  All SMF services start there unless
a different user is specified in the XML file.  So, that's the default
configuration.  Of course it won't work if the process runs as a
non-root user.

> Once a package has been installed it's config is not updated by the
> distribution, as most people run their own config and IPS's behaviour
> tends to break configs more than helping make things work.

That's what I would expect.  My /etc/named.conf file has not been
changed in the past nine years.  It's the only configuration file
for named.

> Whats the content of named.conf?

All 89 lines?  The only thing of interest is this line:

    options {
      directory "/var/named";
    };

That's where all my zone files reside.  Them, I do change occasionally.

> What does /usr/sbin/named-checkconf say
> about config errors?

I haven't run named-checkconf lately, but named runs normally and
serves all my zones when it runs as root.  It used to do that before
the update too.