[oi-dev] valgrind and epoll(5) illumos issue

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Apr 11 15:43:31 UTC 2021

I can disable using epoll by using "configure ax_cv_have_epoll=no"
because this is the cache value from the GNU autoconf m4 macro ax_have_epoll.m4

I tested that; on the other hand as I said epoll seems to work on OI, it could potentially be useful.

The Illumos manpage really seems to suggest alternatives like:

"native applications
should continue to prefer using event ports via the port_create(3C),
port_associate(3C) and port_getn(3C) interfaces. In particular, use of
epoll in a multithreaded environment is fraught with peril;"

So basically port_create seems the preferred API;  Squeak has no support at the moment for port_create,
only for select and epoll.

As far as I can see nginx is not enabling its epoll support but enables their support for port_create.

It builds on OpenIndiana ngx_eventport_module, not ngx_epoll_module.

So if the manpage on epoll states that using port_create is preferred, that would perhaps be the best route ...