[oi-dev] Distribution build system requirements?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 01:27:59 UTC 2021

 I won't get to it until summer as at the moment outdoor work here is tolerable, but I plan to go over the entire issue of disk labeling and partitioning. There are a huge number of what are retrospectively poor decisions and ancient cruft that needs to be addressed in format(1m).

On consideration, I think gparted should go away and the functionality moved to format(1m). Of course, that presumes that the OI/Illumos community are still comfortable with command line tools and do not require a GUI.

I just bought an HP Z840 and will be spending the next month or so configuring it to build Illumos and OI in preparation for doing a modest amount of serious work on things that annoy me.

I'm not so old as to have dealt with SMD drives, but I had lots of experience with the disk geometry and remember format(1m) responding to a 5400 rpm speed with a "preposterous" error message.

I need to do a *lot* of reading about how modern drives behave with respect to alignment. At present it appears to me that we have lie stacked upon lie stacked upon lie. It's time for a bit of truth.

Have Fun!
Reg