[oi-dev] Moving on with postgresql

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Sun Apr 18 04:52:10 UTC 2021

On 2021-04-17 14:46, Gary Mills wrote:
> OI currently has postgresql versions: 95 96 10 11 12 .  The OI
> default, in shared-macros.mk, is 95 .  However, the postgresql
> developers report that 95 is unsupported, but 13 is available and
> supported.  Something has to change in OI to move forward with
> postgresql.
>
> Here are some actions that could be taken with OI.  We could change
> the default version to 10.  I, myself, would prefer 11.  We could
> obsolete 95.  I'd prefer obsoleting 95 and 96.  We could add version
> 13, but only after 96 is obsoleted.  We should limit the number of
> postgresql versions in OI, after all.  Finally, we could make no
> obsoletions or additions, retaining even the unsupported 95.  Which
> would you prefer?
>
> I have not investigated two questions.  Perhaps you can tell me?  What
> are the consequences of obsoleting 95?  What are the consequences of
> the default change?
In my humble opinion; I think it would be good to support 10-??. BUT
to keep 96 around as "nnsupported" with a deadline for removal. Allowing
those still on 9x to make the necessary changes to jump to the 1x versions.
As I recall there were some things in 96 that required adjustments from 95,
and than again from 9x to 10. Keeping 96 available for a period of time
might make it easier to initially build packages without causing too much
pain for the current user base. Then package builders would have a time
frame for building the second round of packages all being 1x friendly.

--Chris