[oi-dev] Porting an exFAT driver

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 15 08:01:38 UTC 2021

John Howard wrote on 12/14/21 7:46 PM:
> Microsoft's exFAT is not royalty-free.  Distributers of devices pay
> Microsoft.  Microsoft still owns submarine patents on exFAT.  We
> old-timers have been down that road before.  It is true Microsoft
> published the specification in 2019 and SDXC flash device organization
> standardizes on it.

AFAIK exFAT is now free to open source implementations, but I have
not taken a lawyer advice. I leave it to the OpenIndiana community
to decide whether there is a place for exFAT in its ecosystem.

I have no personal interest in it, I ported this exFAT implementation
only because I had to reboot on Windows to play a presentation by a
colleague on a USB key. A real-life situation.

Jean-Pierre