[oi-dev] Tasks to focus on

Nona Hansel nona.h at seznam.cz
Tue Feb 2 13:55:16 UTC 2021

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>
Datum: 2. 2. 2021 0:58:32
Předmět: Re: [oi-dev] Tasks to focus on
"

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 3:55 AM Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm
(mailto:gary_mills at fastmail.fm)> wrote:

"On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 03:14:14PM +0100, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>    My list is pretty much the same except that Python 3.9 is now packaged
>    together with some modules (including pip and pipdeptree for
>    convenience) and that we will skip 3.8.
>    Also we are going to jump to pkg supporting 3.9 as Andy did recently.
>    In the top priorities:
>    - Moving packages to use Python 3.7 instead of 2.7 or 3.5.
>    - Adding python modules for 3.7 and 3.9.
>    - Updating Clang.
>
>    One urgent task is to move away from Python 2.7 and 3.5.
>    For example all these dependencies need to be addressed: the more hands
>    the better.
>    alarcher at narval:/export/home/alarcher$ pkg search -H -r -o [2]pkg.name
(http://pkg.name)
>    'depend:require:runtime/python-27' | sed -e '/library\/python/d' | sort
>    -u
>    application/cluster/cluster-glue

I decided on Python upgrades, starting with the cluster-glue package.
I'd like to determine if newer versions are available, since they may
use newer Python versions.  However, I couldn't find any mention of
Python except for this line in Makefile:

    REQUIRED_PACKAGES += runtime/python-27
"

The list of packages I provided does not contain Python modules per se but
software relying on Python 2.7.

This could be e.g. because of providing Python bindings.

On the other hand you can find in the directory

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/components/python
(https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/components/python)

all the python modules provided in oi-userland.

It may be more pleasant to update these components to support Python 3.7 and
3.9 beforehand.

As you see fit.

"
Hello,

I'll also try to update some of these.

"

"
I decided I needed to install python39 on my development system first,
using python37 as a model.  I do have a few questions.  Is it version
3.9.1 that you are using?  What did you do with the tkinter manifest?
What configure options did you use?  I suppose most of the answers are
in your Makefile .

>    This is a long list of packages that should be either patched to use
>    3.7, updated to a recent version supporting 3.X or simply removed if
>    they are obsolete.
>    Of course due to dependency hell we may need to update some of the
>    python packages in the meantime to provide >= 3.7 versions.
>    So far ~25% of the Python modules have been upgraded (within a week, so
>    the task is not as humongous as one would think).

I'm sure I'll discover most of those things as I go along.

--
-Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-

"

--

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings