[oi-dev] Shipping the nano editor alongside with vi

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 11 20:36:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 09:54:23AM -0800, Chris wrote:
> While vim(1) is my "goto" editor, and vi(1) really isn't difficult. My
> frustration
> comes in the fact that each OS implements a different version, with different
> keyboard macros. Which quickly made ee(1) my goto when I was working in a
> "constrained" env (like dropping to single-user), and just needed to make
> some
> simple edit(s). BTW I'm the maintainer for ee(1) on FreeBSD. ;-)

Shall I start editor wars?  I use ex, which is almost always there,
until I can install emacs.  Then I'm much happier.  Even though ex is
just a command-line version of vi, I've never learned vi.

PS: Nano seems to be installed on all of my OI systems.  I didn't
install it, so it must have come with the OS just like vi.