[oi-dev] OI no longer automounts USB sticks

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Jul 1 02:06:11 UTC 2021

On 6/30/21 6:46 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 02:55:21PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 6/28/21 12:52 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
>>> I don't know yet if the glib developers have
>>> dropped support for solaris or illumos.
>>
>> I've not seen any such moves by them, and have gotten Solaris-specific
>> pull requests accepted in recent years.
>
> Okay thanks.  I'll drop that idea from my list of known unknowns,
> and look elsewhere.

They don't regularly test on Solaris though, and could easily have missed
adding something we need, or broken something on our platforms without
realizing it, so those are still possibilities.

Breaking something HAL relies on is also a possibility, as outside the
world of Solaris/illumos, HAL has been abandoned, deprecated, and removed
for almost a decade as noted by the first line on:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal/
and the last commit dates in:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/archived-projects/hal/hal/-/commits/master

For whatever it's worth, the Solaris patches to HAL are available at:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/hal/-/commits/solaris
as we've still not replaced it either.

	-alan-